Login Problems for PubMed

Natalie Wadley osenenna at UMDNJ.EDU
Wed Jan 30 10:17:10 EST 2013

Yes, there was a discussion on the EZProxy list a few months ago about SSL
certificate issues that cause the behavior I think you are describing, your
image was stripped from my email. The NCBI login page does not render
correctly when proxying to PubMed first.

Below are 2 summaries of the issue I saved at the time. Even with a wildcard
certificate we had  trouble, our solution was to eliminate the proxy login
for users going to PubMed.

This works for us since we use a custom start URL with an outside tool -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?otool=xxxxx - so our users still get
prompted for proxy login by our open URL service later in their search.

______________________

"From Chris Zagar at OCLC/EZProxy: "The problem is that
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, for which you approve a certificate mismatch,
is including linked content from https://static.pubmed.gov and for which the
browser does not give you the chance to approve the certificate mismatch."

Another description by Chris Zagar: "When you use a non-wildcard certificate
in proxy by hostname, you receive browser warnings when you try to access
the proxied version of https websites. As a result, the proxying of
https://static.pubmed.gov will result in the browser seeing a certificate
mismatch that you will not be able to approve, causing the browser to avoid
retrieving the linked content and the resulting page to paint incorrectly."

--

Thanks,

Natalie

Natalie Wadley
University Libraries Web Site Coordinator
UMDNJ University Libraries
30 Twelfth Avenue
P.O. Box 1709
Newark, NJ 07101-1709
==============
email:  <mailto:osenenna at umdnj.edu> osenenna at umdnj.edu
phone: 973-972-3834
fax: 973-972-8570
web:  <http://libraries.umdnj.edu/> http://libraries.umdnj.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private,

confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole

use of the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are

not the intended recipient or have received this email in error, please

notify the sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies

of this email including all attachments without reading them. If you are

the intended recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to

all applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and

confidentiality of such information.