Computer Use Time

Paul Butler (pbutler3) pbutler3 at UMW.EDU
Thu Apr 4 08:38:32 EDT 2013

All our public access computers are first-come, first-serve with a 60 minute time limit. If no one is waiting for a computer we allow an additional 60 minute session. We display a 60 minute countdown timer on the screen which reboots and wipes the machine automatically. The reference librarian signs the user onto the computer. Public access computers are heavily locked down with just IE, USB access, and printing capabilities. University-affiliated patrons have a separate bank of computers they can access themselves with no time restrictions.

With this system we no longer have public patrons monopolizing a computer for 5 or 6 hours to play Farmville. They know they can come in and generally access a computer within minutes, where before the time restrictions were implemented we would often need to turn users away. We have received positive comments for students, staff, and public patrons themselves.

Cheers, Paul
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Paul R Butler
Assistant Systems Librarian
Simpson Library
University of Mary Washington
1801 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
540.654.1756
libraries.umw.edu

Sent from the mighty Dell Vostro 230.

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Linda Babli
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:23 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Computer Use Time

What time limits, if any, have you set for you public access computers?
Any pros, cons?
Linda Babli, Reference & Technology Librarian Winter Haven Public Library
325 Avenue A NW, Winter Haven, FL 33881
863-291-5880
lbabli at mywinterhaven.com<mailto:lbabli at mywinterhaven.com>
http://whpl.mywinterhaven.com<http://whpl.mywinterhaven.com/>