[Web4lib] Zoho Anyone?

Dugas, Marie-Ève Marie-Eve_Dugas at UCS.INRS.Ca
Thu Sep 8 18:07:01 EDT 2011

I have recently tried many different (free) project management platforms and Zoho Projects made the short list. However, for the ease of use and different possibilities it offered, our final choice has been Central Desktop (www.centraldesktop.com/). We are very satisfied so far (we have used it for 7 months). The task lists, milestones and calendar features are one of the best I've seen. Zoho Projects is interesting in many ways and a very powerful tool, but might be a bit less user friendly than CD. The only thing about CD is the free version is very limited for the number of users (5) and storage (1GB), which wasn't an issue for us.

As for Zoho Creator, I use it on a daily basis, mainly to maintain a spreadsheet-style list of different things I need to share with co-workers (not task or project-related). It is way more powerful than Google docs. The customization possibilities are amazing, you can use forms to fill in the spreadsheet, you can export in different formats, create different views, etc. So I would say it is a very interesting and powerful tool, but you can easily get lost in all the possibilities it offers.

If you want more info, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Cheers,

Marie-Eve Dugas
Bibliothécaire, responsable du centre de documentation
INRS - Centre Urbanisation Culture Société
Courriel et MSN : marie-eve.dugas at ucs.inrs.ca

Téléphone : 514 499-4098
Télécopie : 514 499-4065
sdis.inrs.ca

-----Message d'origine-----
De : web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org [mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] De la part de Ryan Hess
Envoyé : 7 septembre 2011 17:05
À : web4lib at webjunction.org
Objet : [Web4lib] Zoho Anyone?

Hi all,

I¹m investigating Zoho as a solution for surfacing the statuses of our multiple digitization projects to our stakeholders. Zoho looks like a good solution so far, but I have to say that I¹m a little perplexed by their array of products, especially when it comes to Zoho Reports vs. Creator.

Anyone have experience working with Zoho? Any recommendations for which Zoho product would work best for creating a dashboard of project statuses?

M Ryan Hess
Web Services Coordinator
DePaul University
JTR 120, DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, 2350 N Kenmore Ave., Chicago IL 60614
office: 773-325-7829 | cell:  650-224-7279 |  fax: 773-325-2297  | mhess8 at depaul.edu