[Web4lib] Web Services Bootcamp March 28 & 31

Christine Peterson peterson at amigos.org
Fri Mar 18 14:11:34 EDT 2011

We have a few more seats available - registration closes at noon central
time on March 23rd!

Web Services Bootcamp: Adding Value to Library Apps and Services
Live online course

March 28 & 31, 10:30am - 12:30pm central time

Are you a solo web developer with an interest in learning basic web
scripting? A newbie thrown into your library web programming role
because nobody else raised their hand? Somebody with a little more
experience, but always looking to improve your knowledge of web
services? This class is for you. We'll work through the basics of web
services, simple to use embed code, and highlight resources to continue
learning. Our emphasis will be on mashups and web services as a means to
practice these skills. Come learn how to incorporate the "web of data"
into your library applications and services.

Topics covered include:

*	Why web services for libraries?
*	What do we gain in the move to "mashup"?
*	Define the major terms of web services
*	Resources for learning: wizard and tools (Yahoo Pipes, Google
Code Playground)
*	Code samples for downloading and practicing

Featured code samples include:

*	Image mashups using javascript and the Flickr API
*	Video mashups using the YouTube and blip.tv API
*	Search suggestions using the Yahoo BOSS API
*	Mapping data with the Google Maps API
*	Bestsellers and Movie Reviews with the New York Times API

Audience: Library staff who have interest in and aptitude with library
web development.

Prerequisites: Familiarity with HTML and CSS; Interest in learning
Javascript and server-side programming. Experience with XML and
javascript preferred.

Costs:

*         Amigos members: $200

*         Non-members: $250

Registration and more information: http://bit.ly/ihsRDE
<http://bit.ly/ihsRDE>

~~~~~~

Copyright Amigos Library Services, Inc. 2011, All rights reserved.

Amigos Library Services | 14400 Midway Rd. | Dallas | TX | 75244