[Web4lib] eBooks

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:55:53 EST 2011

Erratum!

I was typing at top speed because of something pressing and on review need
to make some corrections to my post.  My apologies:

1.  2nd paragraph: "there current model" should, of course be "their current
business model"

2.  The last (3rd) paragraph has some messed up sentence structure.  My
pressing distraction interrupted me in mid sentence and it shows!  Anyway,
here is what the paragraph should really say:

In my not so humble opinion, publishers as we know them are the ones quite
justifiably facing the most severe existential threat -- but that threat
comes from enablers of self publishing and is mitigated by the business
incompetency of authors.  If the enablers become more accessible and the
 impediment of the author business incompetency is overcome in various ways,
the publishers as we know them are doomed.  I certainly hope so... but
despite my obvious enthusiasm for the prospect, I cannot guarantee it will
turn out that way.

3.  And to justify the distraction of these corrections, let me take a
moment to add another thought germane to the discussion in the web4lib
context:

I am a strong proponent of the idea that proprietary information aside,
society as a whole does best when information is most accessible.  Authors
of fiction -- and some other kinds of authors as well -- still need to make
a living, but publicly funded results ought to be published with no addition
cost for access by the public that paid for them.  Libraries have a central
role to play in making information accessible to society as a whole and to
specialized interests as well.  Publishers have set themselves up in such a
way that they make most of the profit from ALL kinds of publication --
anomalous in this age of electronic publication.  Their are hoarding control
at a time when it is ostensibly most vulnerable.  They have now shown a
readiness to view library communities as thwarting their ambitions.  They
are quite literally willing to threaten the very role and purpose of
libraries to make more money -- quite possibly because they feel the need to
amass as much profit as possible to fight the trends that threaten their own
existential justification.  It looks to me like this is going to be a very
serious battle and the transition to the future will be turbulent and
protracted.  Librarians, in my opinion, really do need to organize and fight
back as a group -- as others have suggested.  Good luck to you all!

--
Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592