[Web4lib] Services for Streaming uploaded video?

Kent Gerber kent-gerber at bethel.edu
Thu Jun 23 10:48:35 EDT 2011

Hi Heather,

We've been exploring video solutions like Kaltura at my institution as
well.  One question I had about the Terms of Use for Kaltura is that they
have two versions and I wondered if you could explain the difference.  I was
concerned about the license issue too but also found a General Terms of Use
and a Terms of Use for the Kaltura Network.  Did you get a chance to find
out what the relationship between these two policies is?

Here is a copy of the question I want to send to the Kaltura rep we are
talking to and I would love to hear from you or anyone else if you know the
answer:

There is one issue I would like to clarify regarding Kaltura's policy
towards the videos people submit and ask the reps for clarification.  What
is the relationship between the Kaltura Network and the use of Kaltura in
general?  In their Terms of use for the *Kaltura Network* (
http://www.kaltura.org/kaltura-network-terms-use) the document states this
regarding *User Submitted Media*:

*C. You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submitted Media.

D. By submitting User Submitted Media to the Kaltura Website you hereby
grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted)
Kaltura, other users of the Kaltura Website, and others, a non-exclusive
right to use, reproduce, publicly perform, distribute display, remix,
excerpt, adapt, transcode, create derivative work, use in connection with
advertising, promotional or commercial purposes your User Submitted Media
pursuant to the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons
"Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0" license located at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ (the "Creative Commons BY-SA
License"). *

Section D effectively removes our right to be the *sole* distributors,
modifiers, and publishers of the videos we submit to the Network and allows
Kaltura to use them as they see fit. We would have to be very careful about
that process. If the Kaltura Network is an optional place to submit videos
you want to share than that seems workable, but if it is a condition of any
use of Kaltura's product then we will need to consider this seriously in our
selection of Kaltura.

The General Terms of Use for Kaltura (http://corp.kaltura.com/terms_of_use)
say the following about Intellectual Property:

*10.2. Your Applications, Data and Content.* * Other than the rights and
interests expressly set forth in this Agreement, and excluding Kaltura
Properties and works derived from Kaltura Properties, you reserve all right,
title and interest (including all intellectual property and proprietary
rights) in and to: (i) content and data ingested into your account,
including media submitted by users of your account or applications, ("Your
Content"); and (ii) your Applications.*

I would like to know for sure when the Kaltura Network Terms of Use are
effective on our videos and when the more General Terms apply.

Thanks,

Kent

--
Kent Gerber, MSLIS