[Web4lib] Services for Streaming uploaded video?

Cannon, Heather HCannon at adler.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:43:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

We have some videos that we have the permissions to digitize and post online as streaming content.  We do not, however, have a server to host it on.  Are there services out there that would allow us to do this?

We've looked at Vimeo and Kaltura, but they don't seem to be viable options.  Vimeo's Terms of Service explicitly prohibit any material that is not created by the account uploading the material, including prohibiting material that is in the public domain.

Kaltura's Terms of Service has the user agree to "grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) Kaltura, other users of the Kaltura Website, and others, a non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, publicly perform, distribute display, remix, excerpt, adapt, transcode, create derivative work, use in connection with advertising, promotional or commercial purposes your User Submitted Media pursuant to the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons "Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0" license located at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ (the "Creative Commons BY-SA License")."  That's not something we can do with the material we have.

My Google-fu does not seem to be working looking for services like these.  I assume I'm not using the correct search terms.  Or does what I'm looking for not exist?  Guidance? Help?

Thanks!
Heather.

Heather Cannon
Technical Services Librarian