[Web4lib] Using suffixes for identifying formats

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at cchs.csic.es
Wed Jan 19 02:55:41 EST 2011

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for your comments. This is exactly the reason for asking for a
"official" statement supporting one of the two views. My problem is that
search engines are using the suffixes in some filtering options and many
people thinks like you that adding suffix is not mandatory nor needed. I
am searching for documents relating to mandates or recommendations if
they exists.

El 18/01/2011 18:07, Thomas Dowling escribió:
> On 01/18/2011 04:08 AM, Isidro F. Aguillo wrote:
>> Dear colleagues:
>>
>> A large number of pdf files currently available from many repositories are
>> not using the .pdf suffix at all. Although this is not a major problem I
>> think this is a "bad practice" but I do not any document stating this.
>> Could you help me on this issue?
> Why do you think it's a bad practice?
>
> There are no files on the web - only data streams.  What *ought* to matter
> is not ".pdf" at the end of the file name but "application/pdf" at the
> start of the stream.
>
> That said, many browsers remain clueless about default file names for
> saving and downloading (if it's PDF, "output.php" is not a good guess for
> a "Save As..." option).  They benefit from a little handholding, so when I
> spit PDF out of a script, I usually tack on "/Something_Sensible.pdf" at
> the end of the URL.
>

> Thomas Dowling
> tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD