[Web4lib] decentralized web content

Beth Black black.367 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:33:46 EST 2011

At Ohio State we have a similar situation to what Ken describes for U of
Michigan.  We have 101 content providers (out of 300 active faculty and
staff in the Libraries) who add content directly to the site using our CMS,
SilverStripe. (http://www.silverstripe.org/)  When a content providers
publishes a page, it goes live.  Content providers are members of groups,
who have access to certain areas of the site. The managers of those units
are generally the "content stewards" for those sections, although we do have
some sections of the site to which multiple units contribute (like FIND) and
for which two managers work together as stewards. We still have some pockets
of content that could use review so we are looking to add a review reminder
step.  SilverStripe includes this feature but we haven't implemented it yet.

Another unit on campus has implemented SilverStripe with the SilverStripe
workflow module enabled and found it works for them. Before moving to the
CMS over a year ago, they had only one or two people able to add content to
the site so it fits for them. I think in many ways it comes down to your
organizational culture.

I also agree with other comments suggesting that the more hurdles you put in
the way of a content provider, the harder it will be to get them to add
content to the site.

I hope this helps!
Beth

Beth Black
Assistant Professor and Systems Librarian
Head, Web Implementation Team
University  Libraries
Ohio State University
610 Ackerman Road, Room 5855