[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Allison Brueckner allison.brueckner at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 08:51:12 EST 2011

Hi, Elizabeth.

It seems as if you've opened quite a Pandora's box with your query.  :-)

Many of the suggestions are good and I agree with most.

IMHO, this is what I would pose as "critical tech skills for new
librarians," for your course:

* project management
* communication skills between & with: technology folks, librarians and
patrons, re: technology
* overview of current technologies & emerging technologies
* overview of a physical library's information architecture (client side and
operations)

Perhaps you could review some "technology librarian/digital services
librarian" type job descriptions to read some of the skill sets that
employers are seeking these days.  That may jog some ideas for you as well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
--Allison Brueckner, M.I.S.
Digital Services Librarian