[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:31:04 EST 2011

Vendors control the code.  Librarians became willing end users because it
was the easiest thing to do. LSC training became an exercise in becoming an
efficient end user. But, the progression of natural language searching
algorithms has led to us to the point that many end users don't *perceive*
of a need for other end users to guide them.

The Open Source movement has produced some fine products that a professional
librarian can use to create and develop information resources.  The
Archivists Toolkit is one.  There are many more.  I think training someone
to be an end-user really does not rise to a graduate level.  Training
someone to be able to independently organize and effectively develop
information resources using all of the tools available does.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm