[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:30:40 EST 2011

First, I'm not a librarian, systems or otherwise but I've been developing technology while working in a library for the past 14 years.

I am not sure I would qualify the suggestion with a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" as that suggests that the suggestion might not have merit.

Turning this around,  what sort of Library skills might a Computer Science School student want to learn in order to successfully apply their technology skills in a Library.

As Roy mentioned this is 2011.  Why do some many libraries insist that they should be staffed by those with Library School degrees and some training in technologies and not consider that someone coming out of a Computer Science program might want to work in a library as wells?