[Web4lib] Public Library Scanning Setup

Paul Mills pdmills at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:06:35 EST 2011

Hi All,

The Fountaindale Public Library in Bolingbrook, IL uses the Bookscan Station

http://www.bookscanstation.com/product/features/

and it works very well.  The touchscreen interface is simple and intuitive
for patrons.  Patrons may save their file in Word or PDF or a few other
options and then either save it to a flash drive or email it to themselves.
Email is the far more popular option -- I can't remember the last time I saw
someone insert a flash drive.  We don't charge patrons to scan.  There would
be a charge if they wished to send a job to a printer (which they might want
to do because you can do some basic editing through the touchscreen
interface).  The OCR is pretty darn good too.

We used to have a PC hooked up to a regular scanner, and there was a fair
amount of handholding with that setup.  Our patrons find this setup
self-explanatory, and seem very pleased to be able to do it themselves.

Paul Mills