[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Emanuel, Jennifer E emanuelj at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 3 19:04:04 EST 2011

I'm going to second this.  I think LIS students should start library school with Office and basic operating system knowledge.  If they don't, they should not be there.

I'd definitely cover HTML/CSS, basic computer/software troubleshooting (including how to Google to find a solution/help), relational database theory, some basic programming just to understand how it works, and how to install things like wordpress/media wiki on a server.

Admittedly, I has been 8 years, but I can into library school wanting to expand my skillset, so I signed up for the intro to IT class, and was horribly disappointed. I'd be clear if it was a very basic (read: undergrad) class, or if it was something that would prepare you to be a systems librarian.  In my opinion, there aren't adequate classes in library school to prepare you to be a systems librarian.

//soapbox

Jenny