[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Laura Krier laura.krier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 17:12:54 EST 2011

One of the things I found most useful in our Intro to Lib Tech class
at Simmons was a focus on how to stay up to date with new library
tech. We spent one or two class sessions just talking about good
resources in the field, and how to effectively manage your own
continued learning in this area.

I think it's important for librarians to understand database
structures, networks, and how the web works. All librarians should at
least be comfortable talking with technologists about the systems that
make the library run.

I would have appreciated better knowledge of how all the different
library technologies work together (OCLC/cataloging services, ILSes,
acquisitions tools, databases and e-resources, proxy servers, etc). It
would have been awesome to have some hands on ILS experience, even
just to see what they look like and how they work.

So much depends on what students already know and what they want to do
in the field. I completely agree, though, that if students aren't
interested in computers and what they can do online, they shouldn't be
librarians. If students are aghast at the idea of ebooks and
ejournals, they probably shouldn't be librarians. If they don't want
to use email or chat clients or social networking or IM, they
shouldn't be librarians (and yes, I had fellow students who didn't
like to use email. It was too impersonal). If they don't see the point
of technology like smart phones or iPads, they probably shouldn't be
librarians.

Just my $0.02. :-)

laura