[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 17:08:30 EST 2011

I am one of several instructors for Kent State University School of Library
and Information Science course called: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FOR LIBRARY
AND INFORMATION PROFESSIONALS. It is designed to make sure all new SLIS
students have an overview of the technologies needed to complete their
degree and work in libraries. After the course, they should understand their
personal weaknesses and be able to select other workshops and classes to
fulfill their personal needs.

It covers Blackboard, basic computer terminology, file management,
networking issues, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, basic html, OPACs, databases,
searching skills, web 2.0 tools, etc.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com
bcg8 at case.edu