[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Janice Christopher Janice.Christopher at uconn.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:24:37 EST 2011

Hi Elizabeth --

I'm not a full-time techie, but I'd recommend teaching your students
general troubleshooting skills, whether they're going into systems
themselves or will be dealing with people who did. Not system-specific
stuff, but solid basics: questions to ask, knowing your users, knowing
your systems, etc.

You know the dance:
What's the problem?
Did you clear your cache?/Did you reboot?  ;)
What should be happening, exactly?
What *exact* steps cause the problem?
Can you replicate the problem?
Are other users/logins/computers having the same problem?
Are other users/logins/computers accessing a different part of the
system having a problem?
Is the problem limited to a browser/OS, to a subnet/IP range, a
floor/building/branch/campus, or ...?
If the system is hosted off-campus, is the host generally experiencing
problems?
If the host is OK, are the bills paid?
Can you get to Google? (or whatever your default is)
***
Learning library staff comfort levels with technology: from geeks to "I
know the steps to do my work"
Knowing how library staff think about technology: from geeks to the
staff who don't really understand the difference between their PC, the
library network, and a remote network
Communicating about problems to staff and users
Communicating problems and steps taken to technical staff
Documenting problems
Teaching basic troubleshooting
Developing a "troubleshooting culture"

Libraries have so many systems, both stand-alone, interconnected, and
integrated -- we seem to spend a growing amount of time identifying
*where the problem is* in the first place, before even addressing the
problem itself.

janice
-------
Janice Christopher
Systems Librarian/Catalog Management Librarian
UConn Libraries
860-486-2636
janice.christopher at uconn.edu