[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Harris, Gary, DCA Gary.Harris at state.nm.us
Mon Jan 3 13:46:37 EST 2011

Greetings-

Well, if the underpinnings of your class are to be based on "traditional" librarianship, then learning to become familiar with and experiment with a host of technologies is one way to go. Since your class will have people interested in everything from management of the ILS to some basic programming skills to managing information in a non-bibliographic database, it will be your challenge to find the right mix. One way would be to identify what the students are interested in and have them create something together based on their varying skillsets. This would also help them learn the language of IT, which could be an invaluable asset in the real world.

If I were teaching such a class, I would focus on how to improve the mechanisms used for search and retrieval, a reconsideration of the "traditional" conveyance for bibliographic data, the MARC record, and how to leverage technology to keep the library a trusted source for timely, scholarly, and recreational information resources. Finally, I would ask, can we continue to use rules in our libraries born of the analog world in a digital one?

Thanks,
Gary
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Gary L. Harris,   M.L.S.   M.A.
Director, Technical Services Bureau
New Mexico State Library
1209 Camino Carlos Rey
Santa Fe, NM 87507
(505) 476-9730
gary.harris at state.nm.us
http://www.nmstatelibrary.org

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
-- Buckminster Fuller