[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Elizabeth Beers brixton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 12:36:42 EST 2011

Hello Web4Lib!

I'm preparing to teach a course entitled Introduction to Technology in LIS,
and I'm looking for some input on what you consider critical tech skills for
new librarians.  The course is intended to provide an overview of the sorts
of tech systems and capabilities that librarians will be expected to have or
interact with once leaving library school.  Some of these students will be
taking this class because they want to work with library systems or
electronic resources - others will be in much less techy roles but want to
have some tech experience going into their jobs.

I'm interested in hearing what YOU think are the essential skills for new
librarians - taken as broadly or narrowly as you'd like.  I really
appreciate your opinions - and your time.

Elizabeth Beers
Digital Services Assistant
Kresge Business Administration Library
Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan