[Web4lib] shared hosting vs. dedicated server

Morgan A. Brynnan mbrynnan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 11:34:54 EST 2011

Greetings,

Many, many thanks to everyone who had advice and offered solutions to our
hosting dilemma! I'll be following up privately to folks who offered to
share their expertise.

We are just looking at moving the informational site off the county server.

We are doing this to move *away* from the CMS.

I'm building the site, and it is straight HTML & CSS, with a tiny bit of
java for an accordion display of HTML. Completely static, no CMS, no PHP,
etc..

The OPAC/ILS will stay on the county server with full tech support there for
that side of the library. We'll simply link to the OPAC.

The big national hosting companies offer unlimited bandwidth & unlimited
traffic on a shared hosting model on their servers (GoDaddy, etc.), with an
asterisk but I'm having a hard time finding the fine print.

We serve two rural counties with a population of 290,000, but they all
certainly do not use the library. Being a simple designer and not an
administrator, now I know to I'll need get some traffic & bandwidth stats
from IT before I sign up.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Best,

Morgan