[Web4lib] AI answering, IBM Watson, whatever...

Marc Davis marc.davis at drake.edu
Thu Feb 10 07:36:29 EST 2011

Well, it all comes down to what we are teaching in our libraries, doesn't it?  When we first deployed our discovery layer, objections came from the librarians that we were "making it too easy for students."

Ultimately, I understood this simply to mean that our orientation wasn't toward rapidly finding and using information but was -- instead -- to teach students to do research in the same academically approved ways that our librarians had learned to do academic research 10 or 20 or 30 years before.  And it is *academic* research -- doing things in the style and modalities that lead to academic recognition and academic success.

That objection eventually faded as the service proved its value. Slowly though, because the academic library was designed to support the rituals and methodologies of of a 18th century institution and a publishing model based on print scarcity. Obscurity and complexity were the friend of the Librarian, his defense against the world, his insurance of relevancy.  Openness and simplicity -- for all our protestations -- are not yet the core values of the academic library.

Just my opinion, of course, and reflecting not at all on the fine people I work with here.  Still as I see the end of my 30 year career in libraries approaching, I think a failure to reconceptualize the academic library will be fatal as we are bypassed by services that are not bound to the Academy and it's elegant -- but increasingly useless -- adherence to the methodologies of previous centuries.

Marc Davis | Systems Coordinator | Cowles Library | Drake University
Mailing: 2507 University Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50311 USA | 515-271-1934
Shipping: 2725 University Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50311 USA