[Web4lib] AI answering, IBM Watson, whatever...

Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:27:18 EST 2011

My point was just that there is nothing new about a computerized question
answering machine. Information companies and libraries have both been
working on this for a very long time.

Maybe in 20 years we'll all have access to something with Watson's power for
answering questions. When I was in library school, information sources on
the scale of Google or Wikipedia were only found in science fiction. Things
change very fast these days.

I'm watching it, but I'm not getting too excited. Not yet.
Jean Hewlett