[Web4lib] web hosting in the cloud

Peter Murray peter.murray at lyrasis.org
Sun Feb 6 15:12:28 EST 2011

Two notes that might be useful to this discussion.  The first is an announcement from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for a definition of "cloud computing" at least from the perspective of the U.S. federal government:

 NIST formalizes cloud computing definition -
 http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/020311-nist-formalizes-cloud-computing.html

The second is a blog post that I made in the few days about the costs of running my blog on Amazon EC2/S3/CloudFront:

 First Bill for DLTJ Hosting on Amazon Web Services -
 http://dltj.org/article/aws-hosting-cost/

One would probably need a "small" instance to run a library website, so the EC2 numbers would change.

Peter
--
Peter Murray         Peter.Murray at lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955
Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/