[Web4lib] web hosting in the cloud

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:40:00 EST 2011

By "in the cloud" do you just mean using an external hosting provider? "Cloud" is such a loaded and, unfortunately unhelpful business-ese catch-word these days, so it's helpful to try and sort out what you're actually looking for.

True "cloud" services (like Amazon EC2) are massive datacenters that separate servers from actual hardware. That way, if a physical machine goes down they can simply move your virtual server over to another physical machine and you will not notice any downtime.

If your campus data centre is of any notable size, chances are they're running some sort of server virtualization system like VMWare ESX. This essentially provides the same functionality, albeit on a much smaller scale.

I think the first thing you need to do is perform some sort of rough cost/benefit analysis. Pick an external hosting service, like Mediatemple, and spec out the minimum processing and storage specs you need. Multiply it by 3 for your various production/staging/test systems, and then factor in an estimated cost of downtime, in both personnel and organizational costs.

Once this is done, it will be pretty easy to determine whether you'll actually get more for your money by going to an outside hosting provider. For any VPS "cloud" system, the big "gotcha" is always storage space, rather than processing power. Libraries usually have pretty large storage requirements, especially if they're working on any digitization initiatives. The top-of-the-line Mediatemple virtual server costs $10k/year, but only includes 500GB of storage; you can buy a 12-15TB storage server for that much, which will last you at least 3-5 years.

Hope this helps,
-Andrew