[Web4lib] Still Fishing, Re: Libweb - So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

vctinney at sbcglobal.net vctinney at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 24 00:10:45 EDT 2011

>From an outside observer viewpoint, I do not
agree that "Libweb will be missed, even as we
acknowledge that the need for it has been
diminished.".  I feel that it is still quite necessary.
When I constructed Ancestor Roots Information,
http://academic-genealogy.com/ancestorrootsinformationdatabases.htm
I was determined to have a country by country listing
of every library resource in the world.  I was not able
to find a complete listing from any one source; nor,
any world-wide effort that is comprehensive and exacting
enough to cover all library resources for various world
regions.  This includes my search of numerous local
country search  engines, as well as cross comparison
with national and international library associations or
world organizations; also, other global indexes.  Thus,
I have placed many of the sub links from Libweb, covering
this paucity of link sources, when not otherwise found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Libraries_by_country

LOC "Portals To The World" is down currently.  Also,
there is a constant and almost dreadful turn over in
link resources that requires thousands of hours to
keep data current.  I wonder why all the Wikipedia
country articles do not have national libraries lists,
sub divided into various categories and holdings?
Instead of Libweb being a thing of the past, why
not consult with the powers that be and make
library systems an integral part of Wikipedia,
being in itself a  critical resource for literacy;
i.e., listed prominently from the "Contents" boxes.
I think this approach was lost in the initial "war" over
the scholarly validity of Wikipedia as a resource.

I do have Libraries and Museums:Reference
Shelf for The Genealogist and  Family Historian
http://academic-genealogy.com/librariesmuseums.htm
Nevertheless, this selective approach, along with
Professional Library Sources, cannot easily
http://academic-genealogy.com/professionallibrarysources.htm
reach the general Internet research community.
Eventually, I think there should be a Facebook
page for every library and its related organizations,
properly indexed worldwide and in public view.
Google+ is professionally restrictive and narrow,
in its current stage of development and usage.
http://academic-genealogy.com/whatsnewingenealogyfamilyhistory.htm#Join_a_Facebook_Research_Community

Respectfully yours,

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr.
http://academic-genealogy.com/