[Web4lib] [Publib] Kindle at Libraries

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:55:34 EDT 2011

According to MediaPost.com<http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=147627>
Kindles represent 59% of e-readers shipped.  So, if Overdrive is able to
deliver as represented, this would mean 59% more potential e-reader patrons
for Libraries that have e-book collections.  Is making the most popular
e-reader compatible with 11,000 library collections a positive thing for
Libraries?  Is making the devices interactive with the books positive for
patrons?  I think it is.

It is also potentially *great* for Kindle sales, Kindle book sales, Kindle
book authors/publishers (70% royalities in
US/UK<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/01/some-authors-still-split-on-amazons-70-royalty-offer.ars>)
 and Overdrive.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm