[Web4lib] Musings on Research Objectives: Family History - Genealogy - Internet - Library Collections

vctinney at sbcglobal.net vctinney at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 19 16:01:38 EDT 2011

Musings on Research Objectives:
Family History - Genealogy - Internet - Library Collections

The Association of Professional Genealogists public
list has recently been discussing research objectives.
http://mailman.modwest.com/pipermail/apgpubliclist/
My comments concern the single professional objective
of expanding knowledge of all available research  sources.
I was once employed by J. Grant Stevenson, AG (M.A. thesis
written by Joseph Grant Stevenson, Brigham Young University,
1955), member of BYU faculty from 1964, until 1990 retirement.
He taught genealogy and family history and ran a local business.
http://www.sgenealogy.com/cart/  Recommend, dated 30 OCT 71:
"I am very pleased to recommend Thomas Milton Tinney . . . as a
genealogical researcher . . . In my experience of 20 years of research,
I have never had anyone whom I would consider superior to him in
capabilities of handling research projects, filing, analysis, and other
related activities."

My greatest genealogy and family history success lies in using
a top down approach to all research projects.  It is mandatory for
professionals to first consider the apex of any research project as
essential roof covering, consisting of online and onsite data locations.
Family Genealogy & History  Internet Education Directory - Wiki,
stands over these two resource sides, acting as a building crane,
lifting up and distributing resources within an ever changing site.
http://goo.gl/bKfhN

This website is educationally constructed to reflect the process
used when actually doing practical genealogy and family history
research.  It is the generational  historian's approach to the study
of the history of families worldwide, establishing  comprehensive
evidence based family studies within and  aboutthe  lines of descent
from the researched ancestry.  Resources are systematically composed
into key information pedigree  charts, each branching down from major
topical data format headings, into descending sub table knowledge nodes,
especially identified for specific sub subjects and  sub groups, all related
back to ascending ladders of hierarchical linked record  references.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the reputation
for being the pioneer in genealogy and family history records.
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/churchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaintsldsmormon.htm

Nevertheless, it would be a disservice to the competent researcher,
not to consider additional data files available from The Library of
Congress, the world's largest library, with its online free access.
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/librariesmuseums.htm#international
Additionally, these need cross referenced items checked within the
Digital Databases: Education Publications & Books Online
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/bookspublicationsgenealogical.htm#Edpub
which includes Digital Library source links, such as:

(1)  Digital Collections Online (DCO)
http://www.lib.uconn.edu/research/DigitalCollections/
Information about  and links to digital collections worldwide,
that is being compiled by the University of Connecticut  Libraries.

(2) Princeton Public Library
http://www.princeton.lib.nj.us/research/links/genealogy-digital.html
Research: U. S. digital collections for genealogy.

 Globalization 'Defines the Modern World'
http://goo.gl/1AK6T

Respectfully yours,

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr.