[Web4lib] Photo hosting & slideshow features - recommendations?

Daniel Crocker daniel_crocker at emerson.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:23:56 EDT 2011

Hello all,

We've been using Flickr for several years, but have discovered issues with embedded slideshows that leave us searching for alternatives.

We'd like to be able to display our photos in an attractive, auto-scrolling slideshow, so that upon clicking a photo, a thumbnail is displayed with a caption. This Flickr does quite well. However, we usually need the caption to include an external URL, which Flickr is unable to display when embedded externally. This is usually related to an event in the library, or a new database or service - and making the relevant page 2-4 clicks from the image renders the image almost useless.

In brief browsing through the popular photo-hosting platforms, I haven't seen any indications their slideshows can do what we need. Do you know of any service that might be worth investigating?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Crocker
Coordinator of Electronic Resources & Reference Librarian
Emerson College Library
120 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02116
daniel_crocker at emerson.edu