[Web4lib] XSL / XSLT training or tutorials?

Jon Gorman jonathan.gorman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:38:25 EDT 2011

> It seems like the best solution is going to be a combination of several
> things: self-study, online tutorials, maybe a class if we can find one.

I'd agree with the others and recommend Kay's book, any of the
versions.  Also, subscribe to the xsl mailing list
http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/.  Then look at the w3
standards for XPath & XSLT.  (http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/ &
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt).  Finally, Dave Pawson has an awesome faq,
make sure to use it before posting to xsl-l,
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/sect21.html.

Work with fairly simple sample xml files to start with, don't try to
use xml out in the wild. That's asking for pain.  Look to build up
your skills to what you're transforming.

If they have any programming background, those resources should be pretty good.

I'd recommend early on also reading up on how namespaces work w/  XSL.
 That's easily one of the biggest obstacles as most tutorials ignore
them but a lot of real-world XML standards use them.  There should be
some good reading on the

I' of course also wonder why you want to use XML/XSLT?  Is there a
particular framework or process you're using?

Jon Gorman