[Web4lib] ELI Web Seminar > Textbook Affordability: Emerging Solutions in Ohio | April 4 2011

gerrymck gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:24:55 EDT 2011

*** Apologies For Receipt Of Duplicate Psotings ***

Colleagues/

IMHO > One Of The Increasing Number Of Innovative Initiatives !!!

/Gerry

ELI Web Seminar > Textbook Affordability: Emerging Solutions in Ohio | April
4 2011

Over the past few years, we've seen a growing interest in electronic
educational resources and a move toward digital textbooks as a way to help a
financially distressed higher education. During this webinar, we'll discuss
why textbook costs have skyrocketed; how textbook costs impact students,
faculty, and institutions; and current initiatives by the University System
of Ohio to address textbook affordability and learning outcomes. We'll also
discuss what defines open educational resources and open textbooks and how
they can reduce costs by up to 80 percent while increasing quality and
accessibility.

Panelists

Darlene McCoy / Associate Vice Chancellor > Division of Affordability and
Efficiency > University System of Ohio
Steve Acker / Research Director > Ohio Digital Bookshelf Project
Eric Frank / President and Co-Founder > Flat World Knowledge
Shu Schiller / Assistant Professor of Information Systems  > Wright State
University

Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI
associate director, will moderate this webinar.

Links To Source And PPTs And Recording Available At

[ http://bit.ly/hFcBva ]

Note:  Steve Acker's presentation PPT "Digital Textbooks/Learning Materials
The Ohio Strategic Summit" includes topics for the Digital Bookstore Summit
| April 26 2011 | Columbus, Ohio | http://bit.ly/gm3PxS

Gerry McKiernan
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University