[Web4lib] Library Website Privacy Policies

Adams, Jason JAdams at washoecounty.us
Fri Apr 1 19:59:11 EDT 2011

Our Web Team put together a nice 2-page privacy policy -- very similar
to what you see on most library websites.  When our Policy Review Team
revised it, our privacy policy was reduced to two sentences sandwiched
between a statement from the ALA Code of Ethics ("We protect each
library user's right to privacy...") and a statement about the PATRIOT
Act ("The Library System complies with the law as it relates to the
U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act...").

It's my understanding that it is "proper" standard practice for website
privacy policies to detail a website's information-gathering practices,
including a description of why we collect data, what we collect, and
what we do with it.  I've seen this mentioned by the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, Federal Trade Commission, and the American Library
Association (in their document "Guidelines For Developing a Library
Privacy Policy").

What are your suggestions for helping our less web-savvy library system
decision-makers to understand the importance of a more descriptive
privacy policy for our library website?  Any links to related articles,
other library privacy policies, and statements by the EFF, FTC, ALA,
library lawyers, etc. would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Jason Adams, Library Assistant II