[Web4lib] web hosting question

Mike B (website contact) hvcontact at bham.lib.al.us
Tue Sep 28 13:24:04 EDT 2010

Laura,

We've had good luck with A2hosting. You can control your services through
cpanel, but if you like to use the command line, you can SSH in. Many
hosting services do not offer SSH without getting a more expensive
account.

Every once in a while an outage might occur. I send in a ticket once every
two or three months. Usually Apache has to be restarted or something and
they get back up in a few minutes. The times I have had to call them, I
talked to someone at their office in Michigan.

http://www.a2hosting.com/

According to their website they have:

    * Linux
    * Apache 2.2
    * PHP 5.2, 5.3, 6 (Selectable)
    * MySQL 5.0.x / PostgreSQL 8.4.x
    * Perl 5.8.8
    * Ruby on Rails 2.3.x

    * SSH Shell / SFTP
    * Subversion / CVS / Git Hosting
    * cPanel
    * SSL
    * FTP, Stats
    * Softaculous Auto-installer

If you would like more advanced features you could get a VPS, but for many
simple applications it's not worth the upkeep.

Tip: If you decide to go with them and are making a decision between PHP
5.3 vs PHP 5.2 - Be absolutely sure that your php applications are PHP 5.3
ready. Right now PHP 5.2x is fine for most applications.

PHP 5.3 will break many Drupal Modules.

Thanks,
-Mike Benson

> Hey folks,
> We're looking for a web hosting service that will support PHP, Perl, and
Ruby on Rails for some of our library applications. I've been trying to
search around for some recommendations, but I'm not finding anything
that seems all that reliable. I'd love to hear from some other
librarians about what services you're using for your web