[Web4lib] OT. Duplicating Disk.

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:13:00 EDT 2010

  Hi Jorge

Look at the Unix command "dd" which stands for disk to disk.
Or try doing an "rsync" of the disk.
"rsync" worked well for me in a Linux lab that I supported in the old days.

Cheers

hg

On 27/09/2010 18:10, Tim McMahon wrote:
> You might want to check into Clonezilla ( http://clonezilla.org/ ).
> and try asking on OSS4LIB mailing list (
> http://www.oss4lib.org/mailing-list ). It should be on-topic or at
> least closer to on-topic there.
>
> On 09/28/2010 06:07 AM, Jorge Biquez wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> This is kind off topic.
>>
>> U have and "old" laptopn, an Acer Travelmate 4670. It has a sata disk,
>> 120Gb. It has been working fine in all these years. I have installed
>> Freebsd with its boot manager and inside has Windows and a distro linux.
>> I choose what OS to use depending on my needs every time I boot. The
>> SATA interface is smaller, since it is a disk of 2.5 inches and it is a
>> disk for a laptop
>>
>> I have decided to give it fresh air and I bought a disk of 500GB.
>> Instead of installing everything again I would like to duplicate entire
>> disk, as is, with its MBR and all partitions for all the different OS's.
>> I bought an USB enclosure that is working fine. The machine recognice
>> the new disk if I attach it as a USB disk (in all OS no problem on
>> that). As a test also I decided to change disks and install somethig, no
>> problem at all.
>>
>> My question is. What would be your advice on what tool to use to
>> duplicate entire disk? (the adjust of size for the partitions of each
>> different OS can be done later, no problem I guess).
>>
>> I was recommend to use DiskImageXML, booting alone and copy the disk but
>> it does not work. Not yet.
>>
>> I guess the problem is that the original disk still has a 4Gb partition
>> with all the Acer tools , the first partition, to recover teh Windows XP
>> origibal system (type or partition EISA). Not sure on that but that
>> program is not working. I receive an error when booting.
>> On my desktop I used to use old Norton Ghost 2003 with my IDE disk and
>> still work fine, but here does not work at all since the USB ports are
>> not recognized.
>>
>> Do you know of a program tool that can be used that boot alone, free if
>> possible or cheap, that let me copy entire disk, as is, that do the job?
>>
>> I am sorry for the kind of off topic and thanks in advance
>>
>> Jorge Biquez

Hilton Gibson
Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1053
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
	Leonardo da Vinci