[Web4lib] Call for Participation – ALA Midwinter, 2011

kcordes at nypl.org kcordes at nypl.org
Tue Sep 14 12:06:23 EDT 2010

Call for Participation – ALA Midwinter, 2011

Has your library used QR Codes, or other Augmented reality (AR) tools in
exciting and innovative ways?  Are you looking for an opportunity to
present at ALA?  The RUSA MARS Hot Topics in Electronic Reference
Discussion Group seeks panelists for its upcoming program at ALA Midwinter
2010: “Layers of Reality:  Extending Library Services and Resources through
QR Codes and Augmented Reality.”  With simple and often free technologies,
QR codes may be created and added to posters, signage, and other
promotional literature.   These embedded codes, which often appear to be
barcodes (or oddly shaped icons), may be processed by camera phones and
PDAs to direct the user to online information.  Augmented reality takes
existing visual or video information and adds additional layers of computer
graphics, pattern recognition, and other visual effects.

We’re looking for presenters who have used these new and emerging tools to
bridge the gap between the print and digital environments, as well as any
operational or purely functional applications. The discussion could also be
expanded to look at the use of these technologies for marketing and
outreach programs.  Our session will focus on presenting these tools, their
present and future applications, and discussing their possible uses for
improving reference service.  Presentations are informal and are intended
to jumpstart discussion among the attendees.  The discussion will be held
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 at the ALA Midwinter conference in San Diego,
CA.  If you are interested in serving as a panelist, please contact Matt
Torrence (torrence at usf.edu) with a short (<400 words) summary or proposal
by November 15th, 2010.  We’re flexible on the final number for our panel,
but expect 3-4 speakers with 15-20 minutes each.