[Web4lib] well done school library websites?

Hoyte, Daniel hoyte at chapman.edu
Thu Sep 2 16:51:26 EDT 2010

That is a tough question. Let's see keeping it purely proprietary
(closed source):
OS: Windows
Server technology: Windows IIS
Development languages: ASP, Cold Fusion, .Net,
Database: Access,

I am sure that there are others that I missed.

At the end of the day, it does not matter whether you are an open source
or closed source house. If the OS and server applications are not
maintained, you will be hacked.

One thing that helped in opening my bosses to being proactive in
allowing open source application was when I cataloged just how much of
our library services already relied on open source application or their
derivatives. (It is amazing how fast a directive will change once the
full ramifications are understood.)

The second argument that I use is peer-review. There is no peer-review
in proprietary software. You buy it and hope that the developers did
their jobs well. With open source, anyone can see the source code.
Anyone can improve the source code. Often there is discussion of the
code and how to make it better. The parallel, though not perfect, is
that we should not subscribe to ANY peer-reviewed journals because of
the risky and dangerous ideas in them.

Daniel Hoyte M.R.S.
Senior Library Systems Technician
Leatherby Libraries, Chapman University
714-532-7745
Skype: daniel.hoyte

"You are never more than a half-step away from the correct note."
    -- Victor Wooten