[Web4lib] Enhanced E-book Service

Emanuel, Jennifer E emanuelj at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 13 19:24:35 EDT 2010

I'm hardly the most knowledgable person on HathiTrust, but I am doing some work for them and my institution is contributing.

Yes, you can search for specific text within a book.  However, if you are not at an institution that has rights to the item, you can just see where your search happens within the book.   The search portal is at http://catalog.hathitrust.org/   I'm not sure if you can search Hathi full text items from an outside interface/discovery system. There is an API, but I believe it is just bibliographic data and most get the data from OAI.  But that isn't my area at all--I'm an interface person.

There is a lot of work going on to improve the Hathi site, so hopefully things will be slightly less fuzzy in the near future.

Jenny