[Web4lib] Enhanced "e-book" service?!

Cindy Harper charper at colgate.edu
Wed Oct 13 13:32:37 EDT 2010

So the next question is:  does HathiTrust include the orphaned,
still-under-copyright books like Google does? The FAQ answers that:
---------------------------- (www.hathitrust.org/faq)
HathiTrust maintains a database of every item in the Library and a
corresponding rights status. Brief descriptions of the most common statuses
are given below. Detailed descriptions of all statuses, with information
about how they are determined and stored, are available on the HathiTrust
Rights Database <http://www.hathitrust.org/rights_database> page.

   - Public Domain - In general, these are texts that are 1) US federal
   government documents 2) published in the US prior to 1923 or 3) published
   outside of the US before 1869. Volumes may be determined to be in the public
   domain for other reasons, however. See the link to the HathiTrust Rights
   Database page above for more information.
   - Public Domain only when viewed in the United States - Works published
   outside the US prior to 1909 are in the public domain; however, due to the
   variations in copyright law in countries outside the US, it is estimated
   that 1869 is the earliest date foreign works may still be under copyright.
   Therefore, users accessing the volume from US IP addresses will have access
   to the works published outside the US between 1869 and 1909; however, users
   with non-US IP addresses will not.
   - In-copyright - Texts that do not meet the criteria for Public Domain
   (e.g,. US post-1923 and not a government document) are treated as
   in-copyright.
   - Available to nobody; blocked for all users - Works that have restricted
   viewing access due to the presence of personal private information or a
   request to be taken down. This is typically a temporary status while an
   issue is resolved.
   - Available to everyone in the world - In-copyright Works that the
   University of Michigan has been given permission by the copyright holder to
   display on a broad basis. The scope of permission granted may restrict some
   use, such as not allowing the sale of reprints. Please send inquiries about
   individual volumes to mdp-help at umich.edu.
   - Undertermined copyright status - Instances where copyright status could
   not be determined by automatic processes from bibliographic data, copyright
   research is only partially complete, or an ambiguous, unclear, or otherwise
   time-consuming situation was encountered. Items with this status are treated
   as though they are in copyright.

----------------------------------
Can you tell us if in-copyright books are represented as fully in HathiTrust
as they are in Google?  Are in-copyright books being selected from the
university collections to scan for Google, and thus, would be a part of
HathiTrust too?  I ask because we have a researcher wanting to find all
occurrences of x in several in-copyright works, and Google will only list
the first 5 or 10. Is there a way of getting them all from an alternative to
Google such as HathiTrust?

Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
charper at colgate.edu