[Web4lib] Flip Video & Microsoft Movie Maker Compatibility Issue - Advice?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:31:36 EDT 2010

It appears to be a codec problem not format reply from last August might help:
Thomas
============================
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Fli0p video cameras
Date: Sunday 29 August 2010
From: Charles Heffner <heffnerc1 at gmail.com>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org

Hi Christa,

I'll try to help. I use Final Cut Studio (Apple) and Adobe Premiere
Pro (Windows) for editing, and both are expensive compared to say,
iMovie.

However, the Flip camera uses a weird, proprietary codec (3ivx)
instead of an industry-standard one.

The Flip camera should have included conversion software to be
installed on a computer that will allow you to convert the Flip's raw
footage into footage you can view and edit.

You can download the free software to convert the footage here:

http://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html

You didn't say what operating system your library uses to edit these
videos. Is it Windows XP, Vista, or 7? Or is it Mac OS X? Please let
us know to continue to the next step.

Thank you,
Chuck

On Friday 08 October 2010 13:10:05 Pruntel,Alison wrote:
> Please excuse cross-postings...
>
> We recently purchased the Flip cameras through techsoup.org. The camera
>  comes with basic video editing software (FlipShare), but staff would like
>  to use something that would provide more advanced editing. We were hoping
>  to use Windows Movie Maker (we have 2.1 installed on our XP workstations),
>  but unfortunately the file format is not compatible. Seems like we either
>  have to purchase some conversion software or some other video editing
>  software that is already compatible with videos created with the Flip
>  camera.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any suggestions/dealt with this already? I'll
>  have to get our county IT department to approve any purchase/install of
>  the software, and my initial search brought up some programs that seemed
>  to be authored by questionable sources (especially the free stuff out
>  there).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Alison Pruntel
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Fauquier County Public Library
> 11 Winchester Street
> Warrenton, VA 20186
> 540-422-8515
> alison dot pruntel at fauquiercounty dot gov
> FCPL Web Site: http://library.fauquiercounty.gov
> My Blog: http://fcpleresources.blogspot.com

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/