[Web4lib] Ebooks and IPad

Beja974 at aol.com Beja974 at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 14:14:35 EST 2010

Hey Melanie!

It's Barron, from class!

I just wanted to say that at the public library I work in, our IT Librarian
 purchased an IPAD, in addition to the IPOD touch and Nook we already had.
He lends these devices out to the librarians to test out and play with so
they  have a feel for the technology. In fact, our Periodicals librarian
loved  the IPOD touch so much she went out and bought one for herself!

At any rate, we are one of those libraries that gets our e-books from
overdrive and I've seen first hand how limited it is, not just in device
requirements, but also in content. I believe the IT librarian has been
considering the purchase of a Kindle, but is still considering whether or not  it's
worth it.

We've all tried the I-Pad's e-book App which comes standard with the
device, and it works pretty well. As for an App to make the IPad compatible with
Overdrive, OverDrive's website says there is an Overdrive App (or at least
one supported by them) available to get their E-Books onto the IPod Touch
and IPad, and the link below it allows one to find libraries that have
e-books,  so I think this is what you are looking for -

_http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/getArticle.aspx?newsArticleID=20100421_
(http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/getArticle.aspx?newsArticleID=20100421)

It looks like its a click the link to download the App deal, so hopefully
this will help you without the need for Adobe Reader and the like.

Good Luck in Class and thanks you giving me something to respond to for the
 assignment!

- Barron Angell
MLS Student at SCSU

"He who knows he knows, knows nothing. He who knows he knows nothing, truly
 knows".
-- My old high school science teacher, Mr. G.

In a message dated 11/25/2010 12:03:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,