[Web4lib] Academic Library Information Architecture

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:24:09 EST 2010

My library is gearing up to redesign our library sites and in preparation
for that I am trying to gather information on different ways that libraries
choose to organize their content from an Information Architecture/
hierarchical standpoint.

Most library sites seem to approach IA from either a community/user group
based mindset, or a task oriented approach.

Task oriented sites seem to focus on what are the overarching tasks for
library users and structure their information below those tasks.  These
sites tend to present primary choices of  finding materials, deeper research
and services & collections.

The community/user group approach initially breaks up information based on
which group it is relevant to. It presents visitors with options of dealing
with content aimed at Graduate Student, Undergraduate, Faculty and Visitors
and then largely provides a task oriented grouping of information that they
feel is appropriate to the selected group.

Both approaches commonly include an about us category and a category dealing
with ways to get help and contact librarians.

Are there other approaches out there? Has anyone come across any sites that
have a different fundamental architecture to how they understand and
structure the information and resources on their site?

Thanks,
Chris Purcell