[Web4lib] Kindle lending

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 01:09:55 EST 2010

Consider carefully what Tim writes here.  He is facing the existential
threat I wrote about in the thread on whether libraries should be technology
hubs.  Notice carefully how he explains that leaping blindly on each new
technological innovation plays into the hands of Publishers because you are
constraining yourself to playing by their rules.  This cries out for
legislation -- and in the present political climate I am not clear on
whether you can get support -- but I am clear that somebody had better try!
 [Aside -- if, as many have encouraged, you madly embrace each new thing --
like facebook -- you become a slave to it as much as a beneficiary.
 Sometimes you must and sometimes the downside is not so bad -- but all the
twittering and face booking you can imagine will do little to empower you to
overcome the existential threat Tim is rightly worried about.]

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.