[Web4lib] Kindle lending

Laura Krier laura.krier at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 14:22:26 EDT 2010

I completely agree: If libraries disappear it will be because we
didn't adapt to the changes that ebooks require. But I also think
there's a big difference between adapting and trying to make our
services work with ebook models as they are currently being put
forward by vendors, and pushing for models that work better for us (or
creating them ourselves).

I do think that libraries who are trying to make current models work,
by lending out ereaders themselves or trying to work with overdrive
and other similar vendors, and doing good things, as long as they are
aware that these should be stopgap efforts only, while we advocate for
library lending models of digital materials that actually work.

And I'm not willing to give up on the notion of creating our own
digital libraries, especially of unique local materials. I think the
legal battle is worth it, to establish our right to digitize content
and allow it to be distributed on a non-profit basis, in the same way
libraries have operated for hundreds of years.

Laura Krier

--
Laura Krier

http://www.lauraek.net