[Web4lib] Scanner Recommendations?

Matt Russell matt at farrwood.com
Mon May 17 16:32:22 EDT 2010

Hi Vernell,

Whether you use a scanner or a digital camera the result is a bitmap
image of the page.  If you want to group them into a single multi-page
PDF then you just use a pdf creator (like adobe or  and tell it which
jpg (or tif) files you want to combine and in which order.  Scanner
software which automatically creates PDFs is just doing this combining
step for you.

Of course, this results in a fat file, but only a little bit fatter than
the original image files.  And, the result isn't a searchable PDF since
the file only contains bitmaps.    In order to turn the scan or digital
camera image into a smaller, searchable PDF you'd have to perform OCR on
the image to convert it to text, then (usually) spend time cleaning it
up and restoring formatting information.  This is normally a very
tedious process, but it's the same whether you scan or shoot with a
digital camera.

Cheers,
Matt