[Web4lib] Scanner Recommendations?

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu May 13 17:58:03 EDT 2010

Apparently you haven't received a flood of responses, so I'll jump in.
Here's what I know of the scanner market:

1) Almost all lower-cost scanners are limited to 8.5" width; usually 14"
height. If you want 11x17" you're in a much more rarified market.

2) For 8.5x14", there are some low-cost auto-feed units, even with duplex
(2-sided scanning). I like the HP Scanjet 5590.

3) If you want 11x17" and auto-feed, good luck!

4) Most if not all scanners will turn the light off.

5) Whether it scans to PDF depends entirely on the software that's
included. Note that some software produces only image PDFs, which are not
searchable. To search a PDF, something has to have performed Optical
Character Recognition on it.

I hope that helps.

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Pruntel,Alison wrote:

> Hi - Apologies in advance to my posting to several listservs.
>
> Our public information coordinator is looking for a new flatbed scanner. My familiarity with scanners is basically zilch. She currently uses an HP Scanjet 8250 that is on its last legs. She scans images, etc., as well as written correspondence/documents (i.e., letters received by our director who wants an ecopy, etc.) . In an ideal world, she'd like a scanner that:
>

> *         Scans black and white as well as color;
>
> *         Can scan to PDF;
>
> *         Creates clear/crisp photo scans;
>
> *         Accomodates documents up to 11 X 17;
>
> *         Autoloads documents (her current scanner is manual);
>
> *         Relatively fast and quiet;
>
> *         Comes with software, but don't necessarily need photo editing software;
>
> *         Doesn't keep lamp on all the time/is energy efficient;
>
> And did I mention that she also wants something cheap? I believe her budget is under $2K, but we'd look at the best option for us, would consider various price ranges.
>
> Thanks for any/all responses,
>

> Alison Pruntel
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Fauquier County Public Library
> 11 Winchester Street
> Warrenton, VA 20186
> 540-349-2770 (voice)
> 540-349-3278 (fax)
> FCPL Web Site: http://library.fauquiercounty.gov
> My Blog: http://fcpleresources.blogspot.com
> New Stuff at FCPL: http://www.wowbrary.org/nu.aspx?p=2786

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA