[Web4lib] RFID info

Robin Boulton robin at stcharleslibrary.org
Wed Mar 31 16:16:00 EDT 2010

Hello all,

First, please excuse cross-posting as I try to mine the collective knowledge and experience of the groups.

We are seriously contemplating – almost actually planning – the acquisition of an RFID system in the coming year. It’s been a long time since I heard much about it on these lists or saw much in the press, and I’m not sure if that’s because it really didn’t live up to its promise, or if it’s become so mature as to be unremarkable, or somewhere in between.

I would appreciate any quick suggestions – systems to be avoided, highly recommended, or definitely short-listed. All responses are welcome and I’d be happy to summarize and re-post results if anyone’s interested.

a little more explanation: We hope to pass a referendum for a new building project to begin next year, but of course this has been years in the planning and we are not optimistic right now. If/when we do expand, we do want to include a conveyor system, but that’s not an option in our current premises, so we’re looking primarily at the check-in, check-out, and shelf-reading capacities, with a conveyor and any other frills to be added at a later date if we get the funding.

Thank you all for your time and attention.

Robin Boulton

Robin Boulton
IT Manager
St. Charles Public Library District