[Web4lib] Virtual Library from scratch

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Tue Mar 30 18:04:54 EDT 2010

Definitions for the particulars would be helpful (e.g., "twenty-first century library services," "social networks", etc.) -- and I don't mean definitions by us (the Web4Lib community).  Let's put the patron first: what do they want? What do they value the library for?

Based on survey responses (OCLC Perceptions study of a few years back) and customer participation where librarians have "built it" (as, "Field of Dreams") to see whether they would come,  I would suggest that people most value:

1. Access to library materials;
2. Access to computers.

So, how can you invent 21st century library services?  Probably by developing methods to help people maximize the time they have in the library by doing as many routine customer tasks as they can outside the library. And also, to make it clear when the library is open.

My guess is that this is not what people who gave you this task want to hear. These are not extremely exciting suggestions, but they are practical. Practical should be "in" right now.  These cover the basics of access to books and materials  and access to computers.

1. Make sure people can access "My Account" (renewals, holds, etc.) from outside the library (besides basic web catalog features, do your best to make sure patrons can )
    a. Learn or reset PIN number without staff assistance, remotely (yes, there are issues with this);
    b. Voice Automation (telephone) access to My Account (for holds info, renewals, change PIN).

2. Make sure people can access your PC reservation system from outside the library. Beyond Internet access, include ways for people without computer access to do this also (e.g., a computer kiosk at a mall or other public place -- how about in a well-lit, well protected place). Why not a telephone automated PC reservation system (Is there such a thing? I have never looked for it.) Then provide direct-dial access to that from a device outside the front door of the locked library.  Include a speaker phone option so that the five or more people gathered at the door of the closed building can listen to library information and hours on request. Or book return info, or pc reservation how to, or whatever item on the info menu they need when they are "locked out."  Then the individual can turn off the speaker phone component and use the handset to enter a library card, PIN, and renew a book or place a PC reservation.

3. Make sure when people are in the library they can check out fast and find what they want. (Self checks, good staffing )

4. Allow people to request books from seldom-open branches for pickup at their local branch.

Beyond that, we need to make sure that open hours are published, on the web and elsewhere -- better yet, easily memorized, rather than so varied that they are convoluted.

Bret Parker
Senior Systems Analyst

Mailing Address:
Information Technology
Administrative Services
City of Stockton
425 N. El Dorado St
Stockton, CA 95202

bret.parker at ci.stockton.ca.us

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us
http://www.stocktongov.com

"Excellence encourages one about life generally; it shows the spiritual wealth of the world." -- George Eliot

>>> Thomas Edelblute <TEdelblute at anaheim.net> 3/30/2010 2:13 PM >>>
As the Anaheim Public Library is downsizing staff and reducing open hours to the public, Library Administration wants me to help create a Virtual Library presence for the stated purpose of "Developing and deploying twenty first century library services that use the Internet and social networks to connect with users and promote library value."

So my first step toward this is to brainstorm for ideas on accomplishing this.  That is where you come in.  If you were given this assignment, what would you try to do?

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Library

First determine what you want to achieve, then obtain the best technology to attain that goal.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.