[Web4lib] Hyperlinks to other locations

Dave McLaughlin mclaughlind at hcplonline.info
Mon Mar 29 12:31:32 EDT 2010

I agree. Beyond accessibility concerns, many users new to computers often
get confused when new windows open. They get frustrated when the back button
in this new window does not take them back to the page from which they came.

Many experienced users also do not like when websites open new windows,
since we have control of that ourselves. They feel like the website is
hijacking their computer, not to mention that the opening of new windows is
associated with the much scorned pop-up ads.

My personal feelings say that you should only open a new window when you're
offering some info or interaction where the user is not intending to leave
the page. Perhaps you're popping up an explanation or definition or popping
up a quick form for them to fill out.

Thanks,
Dave

--