[Web4lib] Hyperlinks to other locations

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sun Mar 28 19:52:47 EDT 2010

On 03/27/2010 03:41 PM, Jennifer O'Donnell wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Sorry for the cross-posting. We are currently transferring our website to
> Drupal.  We have many hyperlinks that direct patrons from our website to
> other locations/sites.  We are trying to determine whether these outside
> sites should open in the same window or whether a new window/tab should be
> created.  As a new librarian, I am wondering whether current practice
> suggests one practice over the other?

Within search interfaces, we have a small number of uses for external
windows (online help, things like link resolvers that take you out of the
search interface).  For links from a page on the main website, we don't
tinker with external windows.  Clearly identify where the link goes and
let the user decide how/where to open it.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu