[Web4lib] Hyperlinks to other locations

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sat Mar 27 20:20:38 EDT 2010

I think it depends on the function of the pages you are linking from/to.

If you had some sort of online registration and the links support filling
out a form, then it is good to keep the current page active.

If the information follows an research pathway, I think it is better to
let the patron decide if they want to open in a new window or tab. They can
always return via the back button.  If they are doing research and end up
with many open windows and tabs, it can get pretty messy for most browsers.

>From a commercial standpoint, you would generally want to keep the customer
on your site through conversion to a sale.  So, a new tab or window would
generally be preferred. The processed is ultimately focused on the cart and
order forms - similar to an online registration.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm