[Web4lib] Cites & Insights 10:5, Spring 2010

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:20:50 EDT 2010

Cites & Insights 10:5, Spring 2010, is now available at
http://citesandinsights.info/civ10i5.pdf

This issue and the May and June issues (at least) are sponsored by the
Library Society of the World. Don’t assume that LSW members agree with
what’s being said–and please do check the masthead on page 30.

The 30-page issue (PDF as usual, but both essays are available as HTML
separates) contains two features:

Bibs & Blather pp. 1-4 http://citesandinsights.info/v10i5a.htm

    Sponsorship, Semi-Retired and Other Quandaries: If you regularly
read Walt at Random, you can probably skip this essay, since it mostly
repeats what I said in posts on March 13, March 15 and March 18, 2010.
[Yes, I will be at ALA Annual, from Friday late morning through Sunday
evening, thanks to LSW.]

The Zeitgeist: hypePad and buzzkill pp. 4-30
http://citesandinsights.info/v10i5b.htm

    The first of a new occasional feature, The Zeitgeist. This essay
considers two big Silicon Valley companies that rely heavily on the
trust and good will of users–and very different recent situations with
each one. The first section (pp. 4-25) is about hypePad–the level of
hype that preceded and followed the announcement of Apple’s iPad. The
second section (pp. 25-30) is about buzzkill: Google’s remarkably
clumsy and intrusive introduction of a new social network.

Enjoy!